Home » FAQ’s


How do the seasons differ from the US?
A: In all countries in the southern hemisphere (South Africa, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Australia, New Zealand), seasons are opposite to those in the northern hemisphere. December to February is summer; March to May is autumn; June to August is winter; and September to November is spring
What will the weather be like?
You will get specific details when your tour dates are finalized. See itineraries.
What is the difference between Fahrenheit & Celsius?
The guideline is: 1 degree Celsius = 33.8 degrees Fahrenheit For quick conversion CLICK HERE
What are airport code names?
Individual airports will be specified for each tour. Names are available on request. CLICK HERE to find airports, codes and other information.
Are air fares included in your posted pricing?
Flights to and from the destination are NOT included. When a tour is finalized, it will be stipulated whether certain internal flights are included as part of the transportation plan.
What happens if a guest cancels a tour?
All monies paid in advance will be forfeited.
What happens if the Tour Company cancels a tour?
All moneys paid will be refunded.
Can I extend my tour?
Yes, you can discuss your plans with Travels with Elsa who will assist you with further planning.
How do I make changes to the itinerary?
Let Travels with Elsa know and they’ll do their best to accommodate your request.
Are children welcome on these tours?
Travels with Elsa will inform you when tours are suitable for children and if the group is amenable to having children along.
What kind of bathroom facilities are available on these tours?
The standard of bathroom facilities fluctuates from country to country. As a rule, facilities are readily available and very clean. TravelswithElsa will warn you in advance about exceptions to the rule or unusual conditions.
What kind of food is served on safari?
The quality and quantity of food on safari is surprisingly good. Cereals, coffee, tea and rusks are served before your first game drive of the day. On return, a breakfast is served. Lunch usually consists of an excellent buffet and dinner is usually served outdoors in the ‘boma’.
Will my special dietary needs be accommodated?
Generally, there won’t be any problem. At certain places, a special diet may cost a little more.
Can I drink water on safari?
In general, water at hotels, camps and lodges are purified and safe to drink. Guests will be warned if water is unsafe. It is important to stay hydrated while on tour.
What is the Big Five?
The Big Five refers to the five African wild animals considered to be most dangerous when hunted on foot: lion, leopard, elephant, buffalo and rhino.
Are there two Kruger National Parks?
The Kruger National Park is one of the largest national parks in the world, with an area of 7,523 square miles. The park is approximately 220 miles long, and has an average width of 40 miles.  The Greater Kruger Park consists of the Kruger National Park and private game reserves that border the Kruger National Park and share un-fenced borders.
Are medical facilities readily available?
Medical facilities are usually readily available in countries of travel. If not nearby, provision for emergency evacuation can be arranged. TravelswithElsa does not take responsibility for any medical emergencies but will obviously assist with arrangements.
What is malaria and is it prevalent?
Malaria is transmitted by a small number of mosquitoes. It is manifested by fever along with chills and rigors, and left untreated, can be fatal. The Kruger Park, South Africa, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe and Chobe National Park, Botswana are high malaria-risk areas. If you visit one of these areas, it is necessary to consult a knowledgeable medical practitioner or recognized travel clinic two to six weeks before traveling in order to get the prescribed prophylactics. Discuss possible side effects with your doctor. For more info, CLICK HERE.
How can I prevent getting maleria?
One can use sensible precautions to avoid being bitten: • Use mosquito repellents liberally. • If staying in a bungalow or tent, spray with suitable insecticide. • If available, use a mosquito net to cover your bed. • Wear lose-fitting long-sleeved shirts and trousers/slacks in the evenings. • Wear light-colored clothes as mosquitoes are attracted to dark clothes.
Can I use my bank/credit cards?
Travels with Elsa will inform you if there is no ATM available. Usually it is very easy to draw money with a debit or credit card. Make sure that you have a pin for a credit card.
Is it dangerous to travel to Africa?
As in any country, there are areas that should be avoided. Sensible steps can be taken to minimize the chances of being criminalized. TravelswithElsa will take every precaution to help ensure your safety.
Do I need insurance?
It is the sole responsibility of the guest to ensure that you carry the correct comprehensive travel and medical insurance to cover yourself as well as dependents/traveling companions for the duration of the tour. Coverage should include eventualities cancellation or curtailment of the trip, emergency evacuation expenses, and repatriation expenses, damage/loss of personal luggage/theft of personal baggage, money and goods.